For best-tasting meatballs, cook right before serving (leftover meatballs are not as moist).
- Cooking spray
- 8 oz portabella mushrooms, finely chopped*
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ cup walnuts, finely chopped
- ¾ cup breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tablespoons dried parsley
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes or paprika
*Any type of mushroom will work
- Spray cooking spray in skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and onion. Cook until mushrooms have given off liquid and browned and onion is soft and translucent, about 12 minutes. Off heat, add garlic and walnuts. Cool to room temperature.
- Add breadcrumbs, cheese, parsley, eggs, salt and red pepper (or paprika) to mushroom mixture. Mix well. Cover bowl and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray baking pan with cooking spray. Shape mixture into balls, about 2 tablespoons each (about 20 total). Spray balls with cooking spray. Bake until golden brown, about 16 -18 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Serve immediately.
- Serving size: 3 meatballs
- Makes approximately 7 servings
- Per serving: 128 calories; 8 g fat