What is a Nurse Extern Program?
UofL Health is offering senior nursing students a nine-week, paid summer externship in which the extern will be immersed in the role of a professional nurse. The extern will work side-by-side with a registered nurse, providing hands-on patient care and developing clinical reasoning skills necessary for quality patient care delivery.
There are externship opportunities in a variety of clinical specialties and with the diverse patient populations served at UofL Health. These include critical care, progressive care/step down, emergency, obstetrics, psychiatry, oncology and surgical services. Additional clinical and professional development opportunities will be provided.
How the Program Works
- The Nurse Extern Program is a nine-week program at UofL Health
- Program dates: May 16 to July 16, 2022
- The nurse extern must commit in advance to all nine weeks
- Upon completion of the program, nurse externs will be honored at a celebration and receive certificates of completion
- Successful nurse externs may be hired on in a permanent per diem (PRN) role as they complete nursing school
- Be actively enrolled in an accredited school of nursing program
- Maintain a 3.0 GPA with an anticipated graduation date prior to September 2023
- Be able to meet UofL Health job-related requirements
- Be certified in BLS for Healthcare Providers from the American Heart Association
- Work 40 hours during week one and commit to 24 hours during weeks two through nine
- Not be contracted to another facility following graduation
Upon completion of the program, the nurse extern will:
- Demonstrate increased proficiency in clinical skills
- Develop time management and organizational skills necessary as a professional nurse
- Grow in understanding the role of the professional nurse
- Gain self-confidence in the role of the professional nurse
Nurse externs will have the opportunity to:
- Work one-on-one with a RN, performing the duties of the professional nurse
- Learn about assessments, medication administration, charting standards and clinical reasoning
- Receive PRIORITY job placement upon graduation
Applications will be accepted Dec. 1, 2021 - Jan.31, 2022. Successful applicants will submit:
- A cover letter and resume
- An official or unofficial transcript
- Two letters of recommendation from nursing faculty
Interested candidates can apply and upload documents here.
Applicants will be notified of selection for interviews in early February 2022, with final selection being made by March 1, 2022.