What is a Nurse Extern Program?
UofL Health is offering senior nursing students a nine-week, paid summer externship in which the extern will be immersed in the role of a professional nurse. The extern will work side-by-side with a registered nurse, providing hands-on patient care and developing clinical reasoning skills necessary for quality patient care delivery.
There are externship opportunities in a variety of clinical specialties and with the diverse patient populations served at UofL Health. These include critical care, progressive care/step down, emergency, obstetrics, psychiatry, oncology and surgical services. Additional clinical and professional development opportunities will be provided.
How the Program Works
- The Nurse Extern Program is a nine-week program at UofL Health
- Program dates: May 17 to July 17, 2021
- The nurse extern must commit in advance to all nine weeks
- Upon completion of the program, nurse externs will be honored at a celebration and receive certificates of completion
- Successful nurse externs may be hired on in a permanent per diem (PRN) role as they complete nursing school
- Be actively enrolled in an accredited school of nursing program
- Maintain a 3.0 GPA with an anticipated graduation date prior to June 2022
- Be able to meet UofL Health job-related requirements
- Be certified in BLS for Healthcare Providers from the American Heart Association
- Work 40 hours during week one and commit to 24 hours during weeks two through nine
- Not be contracted to another facility following graduation
Upon completion of the program, the nurse extern will:
- Demonstrate increased proficiency in clinical skills
- Develop time management and organizational skills necessary as a professional nurse
- Grow in understanding the role of the professional nurse
- Gain self-confidence in the role of the professional nurse
Nurse externs will have the opportunity to:
- Work one-on-one with a RN, performing the duties of the professional nurse
- Learn about assessments, medication administration, charting standards and clinical reasoning
- Receive PRIORITY job placement upon graduation
Applications will be accepted Dec. 7, 2020-Jan.31, 2021. Successful applicants will submit:
- A cover letter and resume
- An official or unofficial transcript
- Two letters of recommendation from nursing faculty
Interested candidates can apply and upload documents at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NurseExternApplication
Applicants will be notified of selection for interviews in early February 2021, with final selection being made by March 1, 2021.