Cardiopulmonary Rehab Centers
The Cardiopulmonary and Cardiac Rehab Centers provide hands-on, medically supervised exercise in state-of-the-art facilities. We use a broad range of exercise, nutrition and stress management techniques to promote your well-being in body, mind and spirit. Through lifestyle interventions, we address chronic conditions, such as heart disease, diabetes, obesity and more. We are here to support you and help you develop wellness programs personalized to your health goals. Your program options include:
The ability to work closely with your health care providers is part of what makes UofL Health different. Our team works under the supervision of physicians and includes registered nurses, masters-prepared exercise physiologists, a registered dietician, respiratory therapist, licensed clinical social worker and chaplains. They serve as health coaches, identifying services within UofL Health and the community that could benefit you most - an approach that is truly holistic. Our cardiac and pulmonary rehabilitation programs help you restore and maintain optimal heart and lung health while helping to reduce the risk of future problems. Some of the benefits you can expect upon completing our rehab program include:
- Improved fitness levels
- Reduction of symptoms
- Smoking cessation
- maintenance of a healthy weight
- Reduction of cholesterol levels and blood pressure
- Lower levels of anxiety and depression
- Better control of diabetes
- Improved communication with your physician and other health care providers about your progress
- Development of support network with other participants
What To Expect
Cardiac and pulmonary rehab participants require a physician referral. Initially, we will conduct a clinical assessment of your personal health and risk factors and design a treatment program to fit your specific needs that can include:
- Fitness training with treadmills, elliptical trainers, recumbent bicycles and free weights.
- Educational classes address an array of risk factors to ensure you have the information, support and resources needed for optimal recovery.
- One-on-one consultation with a registered dietitian to evaluate and modify diet.
- Monthly group counseling and weekly coping skill sessions to address your emotional and behavioral health.
Cardiac Rehabilitation Program
Cardiac Rehab is a lifesaver; it reduces the chances of a fatal heart attack by 20-30 percent. It can help lessen the effects of heart disease while improving your stamina and ability to return to your usual activities. Usually, the program occurs over three months, and you will meet for a total of 36 hours. Because our advanced cardiac rehab takes a holistic approach to heart health, our program stands above traditional options. This advanced program offers educational classes, dietary consultations and stress management guidance, in addition to the fitness training and monitoring found in traditional cardiac rehab. Our advanced cardiac rehab is covered by Medicare and commercial insurance for the following conditions:
- Bypass surgery
- Valve surgery
- Peripheral arterial disease
- Heart attack
- Heart transplant
- Heart failure
Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program
Pulmonary rehab can make a major difference in your quality of life, reducing symptoms like shortness of breath, tiredness and depression, as well as improving stamina and strength so you can get back to life. These are the diagnosis that Medicare and commercial insurance will cover for pulmonary rehab:
- Chronic bronchitis
- Pulmonary fibrosis
- Lung cancer and lung cancer surgery
- Lung volume reduction surgery
- Lung transplant
Find a Cardiac or Cardiopulmonary Rehab Center Near You
- UofL Health - Medical Center Northeast - 2401 Terra Crossing Blvd., Louisville, KY
- UofL Health - Mary & Elizabeth Hospital - 1850 Bluegrass Avenue, Louisville, KY
- UofL Health - Heart Hospital - 225 Abraham Flexner Way, Louisville, KY 40202
- UofL Health - Shelbyville Hospital - 727 Hospital Drive, Shelbyville, KY
For more information, call 502-581-0110.