If you are living with diabetes, you are not alone. Diabetes affects nearly one in 10 people in the United States (U.S.). Recent data from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) indicates that more than 34 million people in the U.S. are living with diabetes and 88 million people have pre-diabetes.
Do you know your risk for diabetes? Take this quick assessment.
At UofL Health – Diabetes and Nutrition Care, our goal is to:
- Elevate the health status of our community by raising awareness of the risks for diabetes and heart disease
- Facilitate prevention and management programs
- Be a resource to our patients and community health care providers
- Support researchers in their efforts to fight the growing epidemic of diabetes and obesity
Whether newly diagnosed or if you've been living with diabetes for many years, our team offers education and support to help you learn more about caring for yourself, eating well and having good overall nutrition. Our diabetes educators can assess your needs and help you enroll in a group class or individual session that is right for you. In our classes, you can learn more about diabetes prevention, diabetes self-management, pregnancy planning, medications, technology, medical nutrition therapy, weight management, and monitor activity options.
UofL Health – Diabetes and Nutrition Care has been recognized by the American Diabetes Association for Quality Self-Management Education* and Support.
Our clinical team includes specialists that work together to optimize your health and prevent the progression of diabetes, including:
- Physicians and advanced practice clinicians who specialize in Endocrinology and other conditions that result from diabetes
- Registered dieticians and diabetes educators
- Certified insulin pump trainers
- Lifestyle coaches
- Researchers and clinical research coordinators
- UofL Health - Chestnut Street Outpatient Center, 401 E. Chestnut Street, Ste. 310, Louisville 40202, 502-588-4600
- UofL Health - Mary & Elizabeth Hospital, 1850 Bluegrass Ave, Louisville 40215, 502-210-4203
- UofL Health - Medical Center East, 3920 Dutchman’s Lane, Louisville 40207, 502-210-4203
- UofL Health - Medical Center Northeast, 2401 Terra Crossing Blvd., Louisville 40245, 502-210-4203
- UofL Health - Shelbyville Hospital, 727 Hospital Drive, Shelbyville 40065, 502-210-4203
- UofL Trager Optimal Aging Clinic, 204 E. Market Street, Louisville 40202, 502-588-4340