LOUISVILLE, Ky. – UofL Health – Brown Cancer Center announces the addition of radiation therapy technology at UofL Health – Medical Center Northeast, a $3.8-million investment marking the final piece to complete a comprehensive cancer center at this location.
“When we started offering infusion services at Medical Center Northeast in the fall of 2020, it was the Brown Cancer Center’s vision to make this a comprehensive cancer center,” said Jason Chesney, M.D., Ph.D., director and chief administrative officer for Brown Cancer Center and the oncology service line. “Everything that we offer downtown, we wanted to do right here in a convenient location for patients who live in this area and who travel from all over the commonwealth to seek expert cancer care.”
“The Department of Radiation Oncology is excited to expand our footprint and bring radiation therapy treatment to Medical Center Northeast,” said Neal Dunlap, M.D., chair of Radiation Oncology. “The Varian TrueBeam™ technology system delivers radiation with pinpoint accuracy and precision. This targets the patient’s cancer and avoids healthy surrounding tissue for better patient outcomes. Now, more patients will have better access to this technology.”
Brown Cancer Center at Medical Center Northeast now offers:
- Diagnostic services including MRI, CT, PET scan and ultrasound
- Mammography breast cancer screening and diagnostics at the new Breast Care Center, which opened in March earlier this year
- Private infusion rooms overlooking a tree-lined pond
- State-of-the-art oncology pharmacy
- Multidisciplinary clinics focused on sub-specialty cancer diagnoses including blood cancers, breast, colorectal, endocrine, gastrointestinal, genitourinary, gynecologic, head and neck, lung, sarcoma, and skin/melanoma
- Radiation therapy
- Blood Cancers, Cellular Therapeutics and Transplant Program
- National Cancer Institute and industry-sponsored clinical trials of the most promising cancer drugs
- Resource Center offering a variety of therapies and oncology comfort items including massage therapy, music therapy, counseling services, scarves, hats, wigs, etc.
In addition to the downtown and Northeast locations, Brown Cancer Center services are also offered at the Bluegrass location, which is now accredited by the Commission on Cancer and is affiliated with UofL Health – Mary & Elizabeth Hospital.
To make an appointment or refer a patient to Brown Cancer Center, call 502-562-HOPE (4673).
Additional media coverage: