As individuals are living longer, it is important to encourage our aging community to maintain their sense of self by engaging in activities that encourage them to keep doing what fits their personality and lifestyle. Examples can include maintaining interests such as reading, gardening, volunteering and exercising, which can help to provide a sense of purpose.
Since many older Americans can feel socially isolated, it’s important to find ways to engage with them. Here are a few suggestions:
- Allow them to teach you recipes and the stories/memories surrounding them
- Ask about their personal and professional milestones
- Celebrate the relationship you share with that individual
- Offer to help your aging neighbors
- Involve your children in activities such as picking flowers or baking cookies for a neighbor
If you know of an older adult struggling with a behavioral health and/or substance use issue, please encourage them to walk-in to UofL Health – Peace Hospital’s assessment and referral center at 2020 Newburg Road, Louisville, Ky. for a no cost level-of-care assessment. We are open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.