The PGY2 Critical Care Pharmacy Residency is a 12-month program.
Critical Care and Emergency Medicine pharmacy services are located in the inpatient pharmacy at University of Louisville Hospital. Clinical pharmacists participate in daily multidisciplinary rounds on the inpatient services and are responsible for therapeutic drug monitoring, nutrition support, patient education and staff education. Weekly educational opportunities available include the pharmacy journal club, critical care pharmacy conferences, pharmacy student case conferences and emergency medicine resident conferences.
Goals & Purpose Statement
The fundamental goals of this residency program are to develop clinical practitioners who are capable of:
- Delivering pharmaceutical care to patients in several specialized areas with a focus on providing clinical pharmacy services in a proficient and compassionate manner.
- Educating patients, students, and health care providers.
- Functioning as an effective member of the health care team.
- Demonstrating professional leadership, confidence, and strong communication skills.
- Improving individual practice by self-evaluating one’s skills in providing pharmaceutical care.
The residents will be encouraged to develop an approach to their profession that leads to life-long learning and career satisfaction.
Pharmacists who successfully complete the PGY2 Critical Care Pharmacy Residency program at University of Louisville Health Care will be proficient in providing integrated pharmaceutical care as competent practitioners in multiple healthcare environments. This program will provide residents with the learning experiences and opportunities that will guide them to enhance their ability to design, implement and improve clinical pharmacy services. Residents will apply their expertise in our tertiary teaching hospital setting. This will provide experience in caring for a variety of patients across the continuum.
PGY2 residency programs build upon Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) education and PGY1 pharmacy residency training to develop pharmacist practitioners with knowledge, skills, and abilities as defined in the educational competency areas, goals, and objectives for advanced practice areas. Residents who successfully complete PGY2 residency programs are prepared for advanced patient care or other specialized positions, and board certification in the advanced practice area, if available.
Application deadline: Early January
Start date: Early July
Each year, we award one PGY2 Critical Care Pharmacy Residency; eligibility requirements include:
- Pharm.D. degree
- Completion of an ASHP accredited or candidate status PGY1 pharmacy residency
- Eligibility for licensure in Kentucky
Interested candidates must apply through the Pharmacy Online Residency Centralized Application Service (PhORCAS) and supply:
- Letter explaining why you are interested in specialized training at UofL Hospital, your perceived strengths and opportunities for improvement, PGY2 residency goals and career goals
- Curriculum vitae
- Three letters of recommendation
- Official academic transcript
Only completed application packets received by the deadline will be reviewed for selection of onsite interviews. Candidates will be contacted for an onsite interview that will take place in late January or early February.