Part of UofL Health – Jewish Hospital and UofL Health - Trager Transplant Center, our team in the Advanced Heart Failure Therapies clinic diagnoses heart failure (HF) and determines the best treatment path for each patient based on their individual case. Our clinic has experts in many different areas, including physicians, coordinators, nurses, pharmacists, dietitians and social workers, who come together to help make the process as effective and simple as possible.
We specialize in helping patients with advanced heart failure that are not responsive to standard medical treatment options. Offering a comprehensive treatment approach, which includes medication, device implants such as ventricular assist devices (VADs) or heart transplantation and advanced technology, we are leaders in transplant care and research. With appropriate care and treatments, the progression of heart failure can be stabilized, slowed or even reversed.
Conditions & Treatments
- Cardiac Rehab – medically supervised exercise at our UofL Health - Healthy Lifestyles Centers that are designed to improve stamina, activity tolerance and overall physical fitness.
- Lifestyle Modifications
- Smoking/alcohol cessation
- Losing or maintaining weight
- Fluid restriction
- Developing a heart-healthy diet
- Physical activity
- Monitoring blood pressure
- Surgical Procedures
- Ventricular assist device (VAD)
- Heart transplantation
- Implantable cardioverter-defibrillator (ICD) – a device placed in the chest or abdomen to help treat irregular heartbeats
- Cardiac resynchronization therapy (CRT) – a device that resynchronizes contractions of the heart using small electrical impulses
- Percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI) – using a catheter to place a stent to open up blood vessels in the heart
- Coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG) – surgery that improves blood flow to the heart by directing blood around narrowed or clogged arteries
- Valve replacement – Replacing a damaged heart valve with an artificial valve
- ACE inhibitors
- Aldosterone antagonists