UofL Health – Medical Center East’s Emergency Department is a full-service emergency department with care provided by board-certified/board-eligible emergency medicine physicians who are supported by highly-skilled emergency medicine-trained physician assistants, nurse practitioners, nurses and ED technicians. Our wait times are among the shortest in the Louisville Metro area, and Medical Center East – like other emergency departments in the UofL Health system – is committed to door-to-provider times of 30 minutes or less for our patients.
Our emergency department features 18 private patient rooms. Upon registering, patients are routinely placed directly into a room which eliminates waiting in a public area. Once in a room, they are evaluated by an emergency medicine physician and appropriate treatment begins.
Medical Center East is staffed and equipped to care for all emergency illnesses. We also provide chest pain observation for low-risk chest pain patients. After physician evaluation and if the patient meets the medical criteria, the chest pain observation may include serial labs and EKGs, consultation with an on-call cardiologist and a stress test.
We will facilitate the transfer of any patient to an inpatient hospital facility if further inpatient treatment is required. We also have seamless collaboration with on-call specialty services through our UofL Health/UofL Physicians network of physician specialists.
Emergency Care at UofL Health – Medical Center East
Convenient, central Jefferson County location in St. Matthews, immediately adjacent to the Watterson Expressway/I-264
- Less wait time with an average door-to-provider time of fewer than 10 minutes, and an average length-of-stay of 120 minutes
- Staffed 24 hours a day and seven days a week with a board-certified/board-eligible emergency medicine physician alongside highly-skilled emergency medicine-trained physician assistants, nurse practitioners, nurses and ED technicians
- Extensive COVID-19 precautions including separate evaluation areas within the department to assure patient safety and alleviate virus exposure concerns
- Full range of emergency services offered including:
- Chest pain observation
- Critical care procedures
- Wound and suture care
- Fracture care
- Conscious sedation (available if needed for certain procedures)
- IV medication administration
- Behavioral health care via telemedicine with UofL Health – Peace Hospital staff
- Bedside ultrasound
- Dedicated radiology department including x-ray, CT, ultrasound and MRI
- Dedicated laboratory department