Founded in 1906 as King's Daughter’s Hospital, the community hospital continued to expand its Henry Clay St.
location until 1954 when it opened a new, state-of-the-art 70-bed facility on Hospital Dr. From 1978 to 1986 it was operated under management agreement by United Medical Corp., of Orlando, Fla. United Medical then purchased the
hospital in 1986 and operated it for-profit until its purchase by Jewish Hospital HealthCare Services Inc. in 1992, and then became Jewish Hospital Shelbyville.
In appreciation for a generous gift from the Canadian-based Colonel Harland Sanders Charitable Foundation, the hospital gave honor by naming the campus - Harland D. Sanders Medical Campus. In 2012, the Jewish Hospital network
was purchased by Catholic Health Initiatives (CHI) and operated as part of a newly formed health care organization,
KentuckyOne Health. In 2019, CHI sold its Louisville-region operations to the University of Louisville Medical Center to form UofL Health and UofL Health – Shelbyville Hospital.