Research has shown music therapy to help cancer patients reduce their stress, anxiety, fatigue and even pain. It is a unique art form that affects people spiritually, emotionally, socially and physically. No musical background is required to enjoy time with a certified music therapist to see how the benefits impact you.
Music therapy is available at the downtown and Mary & Elizabeth Hospital affiliate Brown Cancer Center locations.
One-on-one outpatient services are individualized, but look like one or a combination of the following experiences:
- Creative processes: Songwriting, music recording, improvisation and/or live music-making
- Music-assisted conversation: Music and talk therapy infused sessions
- Clinical music lessons: Promoting coping through active learning of an instrument
- Wellness and mindfulness: Specific emphases on physical, emotional and/or spiritual well-being
- Symptom management: Specific emphases on alleviating symptoms that may arise during treatment