The Burn Unit offers a progressive program of therapy and rehabilitation for burn victims by working closely with UofL Physicians and hospital staff consisting of:
- Trauma surgeons
- Plastic surgeons
- Registered nurses
- Physical therapy
- Occupational therapy
- Burn technicians
- Speech therapy
- Social services
- Addictive medicine
- Chaplaincy services
All staff is trained in critical care with Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) and Advanced Burn Life Support (ABLS). Each nurse can care for all levels of acuity, from admission to discharge.
Outpatient Burn Clinic
Our Outpatient Burn Clinic is every Wednesday and is staffed by our Physical Therapist/Wound Specialist of 17 years. She is the only wound specialist in the state that focuses on burn care.
UofL Hospital Burn Clinic
Located in the UofL Physicians Outpatient Center
401 E Chestnut St Suite 270
Louisville, KY 40202
Burn Clinic is on Wednesdays 8:30-11:00 a.m.
Offices Open Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Fax: 502-562-4030 with referring info
Referring information should include:
- Face sheet with Patient information including phone number
- Emergency room report and burn summary (what happened, type and size of burn, etc.)
- Pain meds and dressing changes ordered
You can call during the week or fax this information and someone will get back with you, or call the patient directly if they have been discharged.
If you feel the patient should be transferred or have questions; please call the Access center at 1-502-562-8008 (you will be connected with the trauma physician on call).
Newly expanded Burn Center
In 2018, we opened our newly expanded burn unit, which was created to reflect our commitment to provide family-centered care and evidence-based practices.
Our Burn Center proudly offers:
- Continued burn and wound care expertise we’ve been providing since 1984
- Expanded state-of-the-art 16-bed unit to serve the needs of our community
- Specially trained burn staff including the only physical therapist/certified wound therapist in the state of Kentucky
- Patient rooms designed for a comfortable experience for both patients and families
- Hydrotherapy room, which can accommodate patients on a stretcher to ensure quicker and better care
- Specially designed unit with a soothing color palette and décor to create a comforting environment for our patients to heal
- Ability to provide care through all levels of treatment up until discharge
Our goal is to assist patients and families towards recovery and getting back to their lives.
The trauma of a burn injury is not only devastating to the patient but also to family members and caregivers. With this in mind, our new Burn Center was specially designed with areas for family members to relax, be comfortable and take a much-needed break as they help their loved ones in their recovery process.