UofL Physicians’ transplant doctors are an integral part of the UofL Health – Trager Transplant Center, formerly UofL Health – Jewish Hospital Trager Transplant Center, which is one of the leading providers of organ transplantation in the country. We make it our mission to improve lives. Nationally recognized for performing Kentucky’s first adult heart, pancreas, heart-lung and liver transplant, our transplant team also was responsible for the first minimally invasive kidney donation in Kentucky.
UofL Physicians are part of collaborative multidisciplinary teams that includes surgeons, anesthesiologists, nurses, infectious disease specialists, researchers, rehabilitation consultants, social workers, dietitians, psychiatrists, pharmacists and financial coordinators, who all bring a unique set of skills to the table. We have one common goal: to help our patients and their families deal with both the challenges and new possibilities after a transplant.
UofL Health –Trager Transplant Center has been named a Federally Designated Medicare Heart, Lung, Kidney, Liver and Pancreas Transplant Center; an elite group approved to perform all five solid organ transplants and is a member of numerous national transplant networks.
Through the UofL Health – Trager Transplant Center, UofL Physicians offers a full spectrum of organ transplants for adults. In partnership with Norton Children’s Hospital, our physicians also serve children.
Recent Transplant Care Initiatives
We have also recently launched several initiatives to better serve patients across the region:
- Opened an outreach clinic in Henderson, Kentucky to serve the Greater Evansville and Henderson communities. This is in addition to our outreach clinics in Bowling Green and Crestview Hills in Northern Kentucky.
- Launched a Cirrhosis referral program to serve patients who are not yet able to meet criteria for liver transplantation.
- Performed Kentucky’s first lung transplant using Ex Vivo Lung Perfusion (EVLP). EVLP is leading-edge technology that allows for an expansion of the lung donor pool that results in more patients receiving a life-saving transplant.
- Launched a new protocol to offer liver transplantation for patients with cholangiocarcinoma. UofL Health – Trager Transplant Center is one of only two transplant centers in the region to offer this option for patients with this type of cancer.
- Launched protocols for the use of Hepatitis C positive donor organs to Hepatitis C negative liver recipients and kidney recipients\
- Merger of the UofL Health – Jewish Hospital and UofL Hepatitis Clinics into one clinic located at the UofL Health – Ambulatory Care Building
- Implementation of Telehealth Medicine in pre- and post-transplant medical, psychosocial and dietary management.
- Collaboration with National Kidney Foundation, Kentucky chapter in providing living donor education for potential kidney transplant recipients via the Big Ask, Big Give Program (locally and in Bowling Green, KY).
We are committed to providing the highest level of transplant care and services to patients and their families in Kentucky and our region. Thank you for the trust you place in our program.
Whether you are looking for a program to deal with a specific disease, or awaiting a transplant, UofL Health – Trager Transplant Center has a caring team designed to walk you through the process, every step of the way.
UofL Health – Trager Transplant Center
Frazier Rehab Institute, 3rd Floor
220 Abraham Flexner Way
Louisville, KY 40202