At UofL Health, we care for the whole person -- body, spirit and psyche. Illness is not just a physical event, it is also a spiritual event and can disturb our body and our spirit. Our chaplains provide spiritual care throughout the hospital and are available to patients and families 24-hours-a-day. They are trained clinicians and integrated members of several interdisciplinary teams.
Chaplains provide the following services for patients and their families:
- Emotional and spiritual support regardless of faith orientation or beliefs
- Prayers and other rituals that support one’s faith and spirituality as a resource for coping
- Caring listening to help process emotions
- Spiritual counseling
- Crisis support
- Help in dealing with loss
- Assisting with end-of-life decisions and ethical decision making
- Referrals to spiritual support persons and ministers in the community
A chapel is available for quiet reflection, prayer and meditation at UofL Hospital on the second floor near the surgery waiting area.
In order to contact a chaplain, patients and family members can ask their nurse to make a referral, call the hospital operator to be connected with Chaplaincy Services, or call directly: UofL Hospital: 502-562-4114.